commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject [math] RandomData/RandomDataImpl
Date Sun, 20 Mar 2011 18:28:00 GMT
Quite a few methods have been added to RandomDataImpl that are not
in RandomData.  The methods were added to the impl class only to
preserve backward compatibility in versions 1 and 2.  In 3.0, we now
have the choice to add the methods to the interface or even dispense
with the interface altogether.  Personally, I am leaning in the
direction to just make RandomData a concrete class and move the
implementations in RandomDataImpl into that class.  Early on, we
thought that RandomData might be a relatively small but useful
interface.  What I think now is that the more valuable
interface/implementation separation is at the lower level of random
generators, which is enabled in RandomDataImpl.

What do others think about this?

Phil