commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Trademakrs and logos. WAS beanutils commit msg...
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 09:05:31 GMT
On 14/03/2011 03:21, Henri Yandell wrote:
> It depends on component.
>
> We should always claim "Apache Commons XYZ".

+1

> For a unique name, for example, Sanselan, we should state our claim of:
>
>   "Apache Commons Sanselan"
>   "Commons Sanselan"
>   "Sanselan"

+1

> For a non-unique name, for example, Math, we should state our claim of:
>
>   "Apache Commons Math".
>
> [where claiming 'Math' is ludicrous, and claiming 'Commons Math' is
> only a shade less ludicrous].

I agree claiming "Math" is a non-starter.

I'm now on the fence with regard to "Commons Math". We don't want to
prevent other communities creating their own "Community Commons Foo" and
Foo==Math or Foo==Lang are likely things they will want to create. On
the other hand, "Commons Math" is a frequently used shortening for
"Apache Commons Math". I'm really not sure what is the best thing to do
here.

Mark