commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <>
Subject Re: Trademakrs and logos. WAS beanutils commit msg...
Date Sun, 13 Mar 2011 17:28:31 GMT
On 13/03/2011 16:45, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On Mar 13, 2011, at 1:24 AM, Mark Thomas <> wrote:
>>> Why, exactly?
>> Because I don't want BigCorp to be able to create a product called
>> "Apache Commons Math". If we don't protect our marks then we have no way
>> of stopping abuse.
> Do you honestly think that the probability of that is distinguishable from 0 as a double?

For all Commons components, over their potential lifetime, yes I think
the probability is a lot closer to 1 than 0.

> Seriously, I have a hard time envisioning this, and an even harder time convincing myself
that we should be spending precious volunteer hours making changes throughout the commons
sites to mitigate this risk.  Especially when these changes may give the wrong impression
to some users / potential volunteers.

I don't see how claiming our trademarks can give the wrong impression.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message