commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Trademakrs and logos. WAS beanutils commit msg...
Date Sun, 13 Mar 2011 09:24:56 GMT
On 12/03/2011 18:03, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 3/12/11 10:41 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

>>> OK.  I just asked on board@.  They may toss it over to trademarks,
>>> but I personally see this as first a Commons decision, which the
>>> Board could require us to change.
>>>
>>> Please anyone else chime in with different opinions.  I want to make
>>> sure I am not misrepresenting our views.
>> I think we would have difficulty claiming "Commons" as a trademark.
>>
>> I think we should be claiming/protecting:
>> - Apache Commons
>> - Apache Commons Foo
>> - Commons Foo
> Why, exactly?

Because I don't want BigCorp to be able to create a product called
"Apache Commons Math". If we don't protect our marks then we have no way
of stopping abuse.

> And why do we think we *can* claim, for example, "Commons Email?"

Because there no reason that we can't. Whilst those individual words
would be hard to trademark, "Commons Email" and "Apache Commons Email"
should not present a problem.

Mark