commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jexl] Short description in commit messages (was: svn commit: r1072000)
Date Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:22:50 GMT
On 18 February 2011 22:54, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/18/11 2:14 PM, sebb wrote:
>> I agree it's helpful to have at least the subject of the JIRA in the
>> log message, but IMO there should be nothing in the log message that
>> is not in the JIRA and/or code comments.
>>
>> The SVN log message should enable reviewers to understand the content
>> of the commit but should otherwise be disposable. SVN log messages are
>> not versioned, so can be permanently overwritten. Also we release
>> source code, and if SVN log messages are necessary to understand the
>> code, then the comments are insufficient.
>>
> I agree that svn log messages should not be necessary to understand
> the code; but they are a very important tool in understanding how
> the revision history works - i.e., what was changed when.  The fact
> that they can be modified is a plus - it means we can go back and
> fix errors in the log messages or improve them.

Or they can be obliterated with no trace ...

> I am frequently
> thankful of developers who have written good and complete commit
> messages not for understanding how code works, but why it works the
> way it does.

Such information should not be confined to log messages, partly
because log messages are hard to scan and not guaranteed to be
available, but mainly because the source code should be understandable
on its own.

External users will generally only see the source code. If there is
important information about how the source code works buried in SVN
log messages, then I think we have failed to produce the best source
code that we can.

> I personally have no problem at all with duplication
> between the content of these messages and comments and/or
> descriptions in JIRA.

Agree, duplication is not a problem.