commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] the 2.2 release saga conclusion ?
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2011 19:17:20 GMT
On 11 February 2011 18:53, Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maisonobe@free.fr> wrote:
> Le 11/02/2011 19:07, Phil Steitz a écrit :
>> On 2/11/11 12:49 PM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I would like to have 2.2 out as soon as possible. I would like to
>>> propose yet another intermediate solution, not a perfect one, but trying
>>> to mitigate everything that has been said here. Remember this is *only*
>>> for 2.2 and it does *not* mean anything about 3.0 or any further
>>> discussions.
>>>
>>> So I propose we release 2.2 with the following changes relative to what
>>> is currently in the repository:
>>>
>>>  - change FunctionEvaluationException, DerivativeException and
>>>    MatrixVisitorException to unchecked again by making them
>>>    extend o.a.c.math.exception.MathUserException
>>>  - change ConvergenceException to unchecked by making it extend
>>>    o.a.c.math.exception.MathIllegalStateException
>>>  - undeprecate all these exceptions
>>>  - accept the 17 CLIRR errors remaining after these changes
>>>    (13 related to exceptions, 4 related to ODE)
>>>  - accept the 30 CLIRR warnings remaining after these changes
>>>    (all of them related to exceptions)
>>>  - accept the 422 CLIRR infos remaining after these changes
>>>
>>> This is by no means a perfect solution, I really tried to reach a
>>> compromise between several points of view. As each compromise, everyone
>>> would have something to tell against it but please don't start another
>>> lengthy discussion and even less a flame war. There is no hidden
>>> intention behind this and the choices presented would be put only in 2.2
>>> branch, not in trunk. The only intention is to be able to publish 2.2.
>>>
>>> What do you think ?
>>>
>> Can you create a Clirr report showing the issues above and put it in
>> ~luc so we can all look at it?
>
> Yes, I have put it there:
> <http://people.apache.org/~luc/clirr-report.html>.
>

>> Also, what would it take to fully eliminate the exceptions-related
>> errors?
>
> This would mean going back to checked exception as most errors are
> "Removed org.apache.commons.math.MathException from the list of
> superclasses"

BTW, I have run the 2.1 test cases against the current 2.2 code.
There are a lot of errors and failures. Many of them relate to the
changes in exception hierarchy - e.g. expecting MathException, actual
NullArgumentException.

Some are obviously OK, e.g. the following fails:
   assertFalse(ex.getMessage().equals(ex.getMessage(Locale.FRENCH)));
[Not sure that was a safe test anyway - suppose the default Locale was FRENCH?]

However, there are also errors in MathUtils (e.g. changes in equals methods).
I'm not sure it's a good idea to change the behaviour in a point
release, unless the current behaviour is obviously incorrect.
The behaviour wrt NaNs has been changed, and it no longer agrees with
the Javadoc for 2.1.
I think in this case it would be safer to introduce the new
equalsIncludingNaN() methods, but keep the old equals() method
behaviour.
Otherwise user code may break - as does the test code.

Sorry, I realise that I should have brought this up a long while ago,
but I was not really following the changes initially.