commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [configuration] Compilation under Java 1.4
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 07:27:44 GMT

On Feb 9, 2011, at 11:04 PM, Oliver Heger wrote:

> Am 10.02.2011 00:48, schrieb Ralph Goers:
>>
>> On Feb 9, 2011, at 2:54 PM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ralph,

>>> but this is what Oliver told: vfs snapshot was compiled with target 1.5, so
>>> you cannot compile and run with a target 1.4.
>>
>> I just did an svn up on both vfs and configuration and then did a mvn clean install
on each. Both build and run their unit tests with no problems.

>> I believe this problem only exists when you build using JDK 1.4, which is also the
way I read Oliver's message.

>> Ralph
>>
> Yes, building on a JDK 1.4 is no more possible (builds on JDK 1.5+ work without problems).
This is a bit strange as we still target this version. I prefer building on the target JDK
because otherwise it is easy to introduce incompatibilities, e.g. by using library classes
or methods available only on higher JDKs.

> So in any case to ensure compatibility, it would be necessary to run at least the tests
on a 1.4 runtime. How can we do this with the least effort? Can this be done with maven or
do we need an ant script?

> The generated configuration jar should still be compatible with 1.4, but if you use classes
depending on vfs, you will of course need a 1.5 runtime.

It should be possible to create a profile that excludes the unit tests that use VFS if the
jdk is 1.4.  If the code has already been compiled then running mvn test with maven 2.0.x
and jdk 1.4 should work since it won't try to compile anything.

Ralph