commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] Compilation under Java 1.4
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2011 07:04:57 GMT
Am 17.02.2011 02:10, schrieb Ralph Goers:
> Thanks. But I have a larger issue.
>
> We have been doing performance testing and the synchronization in AbstractFileConfiguration,
 DynamicCombinedConfiguration,  and MultiFileHierarchicalConfiguration are showing up as predominant
hot spots.  These would be easy to fix if I could use java.util.concurrent but, of course,
that would require an upgrade to Java 5. The experimental branch has a minimum version of
Java 5 but it is nowhere near ready for a release.  I'm wondering when the right time to upgrade
would be?  1.8?

> Ralph

This is really a good question. AFAIK other Commons components switched
to Java 1.5 only in a major release, but given the current situation
with end of support for older JDKs, it may be worth starting a new
discussion.

OTOH I would not have a major problem with switching to Java 1.5, doing
some slight API improvements by introducing generics etc., and calling
this version 2.0. (Maybe we have then again a discussion whether package
names must be changed.)

I am not very happy with the experimental branch, too. If time permits,
I would like to start something new in the sandbox from scratch to
overcome some of the problems in our current design (e.g. the tight
coupling of the reloading mechanism which causes these synchronization
problems).

Oliver