commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] Compilation under Java 1.4
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 07:04:03 GMT
Am 10.02.2011 00:48, schrieb Ralph Goers:

> On Feb 9, 2011, at 2:54 PM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
>
>> Hi Ralph,
>>
>> Ralph Goers wrote:
>>
>>> The latest versions of Maven require JDK 1.5.  The pom (or the Commons
>>> Parent) should be specifying that the target for Commons Configuration is
>>> 1.4.  I've run this build many times successfully (I use 1.6).  I don't
>>> see any problem requiring the build to use Maven 2.2.x or Maven 3 and/or
>>> have a minimum JDK version for that.  I would have a problem if this
>>> prevented the result from running in a JDK 1.4 VM.
>>
>> but this is what Oliver told: vfs snapshot was compiled with target 1.5, so
>> you cannot compile and run with a target 1.4.
>
> I just did an svn up on both vfs and configuration and then did a mvn clean install on
each. Both build and run their unit tests with no problems.

> I believe this problem only exists when you build using JDK 1.4, which is also the way
I read Oliver's message.

> Ralph

Yes, building on a JDK 1.4 is no more possible (builds on JDK 1.5+ work
without problems). This is a bit strange as we still target this
version. I prefer building on the target JDK because otherwise it is
easy to introduce incompatibilities, e.g. by using library classes or
methods available only on higher JDKs.

So in any case to ensure compatibility, it would be necessary to run at
least the tests on a 1.4 runtime. How can we do this with the least
effort? Can this be done with maven or do we need an ant script?

The generated configuration jar should still be compatible with 1.4, but
if you use classes depending on vfs, you will of course need a 1.5 runtime.

Oliver