commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [MATH] Matrix hierarchy reorganization
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2011 15:00:04 GMT
> [...]
>
> The things we will for sure have some difficult discussions are:
>  - dependencies
>    (I guess Phil and myself don't like dependencies, whereas Ted and Gilles
>     are happy with them)

My position is probably best summarized as follows:
1. I'm against dependencies for everything concerning the "core business" of
   Commons Math: A light-weight library of mathematical algorithms.
2. I'm for dependencies when avoiding them means re-inventing the wheel
   (e.g. localization, logging).
3. Consistently with point 1, I'm against locking CM in self-inflicted
   dependencies, a.o. publicizing an API that does not belong to the "core
   business".

> What I would like to see:
>  - more exchanges with the Mahout community

Are you ready to depend on their library?

> [...]

Best regards,
Gilles