commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] "Normal" GaussianFitter
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:06:54 GMT
Hello Ole.

> I need the GaussianFitter to fit a gaussian function as described here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_function (In other words remove the "a" parameter)
>
> Seems like the way to do this is to:
>
> A)
> Create a new "ParametricGaussianFunction"
> without the "a" parameter
> (Call it say ...NormalParametricGaussianFunction).
>
> B)
> Create a new GaussianFitter (Call it say...NormalGaussianFitter)
> that uses the NormalParametricGaussianFunction instead
> of the ParametricGaussianFunction.
>
> I intend to contribute the work back to commons-math, so that's why I'm asking about
the names.  Am I in the ballpark on the approach?

Using the term "Normal..." would not be appropriate (I think) as it would
also imply a restriction on the normalization factor ("b").

However, as I've raised in
I think that "GaussianFitter" needs some refactoring.
Maybe you could try to see what changes would be necessary to deal with
MATH-512 and such that the upgraded "GaussianFitter" will meet with your
requirements at the same time.

Best,
Gilles