commons-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [math] deciding about 2.2
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2011 11:56:54 GMT
Hello.

> 
> It seems the thread asking for help on the exception API design is going
> to be fruitful, and it starts well with interesting ideas. I guess some
> of these ideas will change again our view and we will converge
> (hopefully not throwing an exception ourselves ...) to a stable design
> for 3.0. It seems to me that the switch to unchecked exceptions is
> supported by almost all participants to this thread, so this part is
> probably already stabilized.
> 
> I doubt we can do anything about it for 2.2 and waiting first for the
> rest of the discussion to stabilize (no hierarchy/small hierarchy/large
> hierarchy, specific getters/general context map ...) would push 2.2 too far.

Indeed. [IMHO, it would have been a less painful to not try anything in
the way of "smooth transition" where such radical changes (checked vs
unchecked) are concerned.]

Also, if I may insist, we had somewhat agreed about a freeze concerning the
big changes in "trunk" (targetting a release of 3.0 around spring!).
Even if the "map" idea can be useful, it can be implemented after 3.0, in a
backward-compatible way.

Then further down in time (i.e. towards 4.0), when we can have some actual
experience with the design as it is now, we will, if necessary, make the
incompatible changes (like removing exceptions).

> I would like to freeze 2.2 as it is now in the repository and get it out.

+1


Best regards,
Gilles

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@commons.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@commons.apache.org


Mime
View raw message