commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@scalaris.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Coding and documenting guidelines
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2011 16:52:35 GMT
Hi Gilles,

Gilles Sadowski wrote:

[snip]

>> Yes, though I don't see big problems with formatting and I don't see the
>> need - and in fact see reasons not to - depart from the established
>> standard or add more requirements that contributors need to follow.
>
> There are no big problems, just a lot of small ones (e.g. using a keywords
> like "null" without writing it as "{@code null}" and some comments being
> complete sentences while others aren't).
> If this is not important (again, I'm not saying it should be
> high-priority), then I'd strongly suggest to remove the "trailing white
> space" rule from CheckStyle because that one should be orders of magnitude
> less important...

There's a reason for such a rule. Most modern editors will remove them
automatically, but when the original file contained such stuff, you end up
with a diff that contains a lot of clutter (not to mention the fact that
this diff might be a patch from JIRA and someone else has to apply it and
might get as a result stupid conflicts).

Obviously formatting changes will produce always such clutter and therefore
it is important to clean up the source at least before a release, because
you can expect patches against the tagged version.

Annoying as a unified code format is for the individual developer, it
improves maintenance a lot.

Just my 2¢
Jörg