commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] meaning of "support" in distributions classes
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2011 19:04:30 GMT
I don't think you are missing anything.  Moreover, I think that wikipedia
just has an error in this regard.

Following their chain of definitions leads to this example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Support_(measure_theory)#A_uniform_distribution

If the uniform distribution on the open interval (0,1) has the closed set
[0,1] as its support then the beta distribution
obviously does as well.  In fact, the definition they use starts with "The
largest closed set ...".