commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Doing a Lang 2.6 release
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:21:42 GMT
On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:27 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 January 2011 00:26, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Generally looks very good. A few minor points:
>>>
>>> Is the src/pending directory still useful, or could it be deleted?
>>
>> Its not been touched since 2005 so IMO we should remove it. It is also
>> still in the trunk, so I've removed it from the 2.x branch. If it
>> finds its way into the trunk then it could be considered for
>> back-poritng,
>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-603 - I think we should
>>> remove - or implement - Cloneable
>>
>> Theres related discussion about this here:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-302
>>
>> We can't remove the interface because of backwards compatibility - so
>> its either do nothing or implement clone(). I have added my comments
>> to that ticket.
>
> +1 to implementing clone.
>
>>> ExtendedMessageFormat.setFormatByArgumentIndex
>>> and
>>> ExtendedMessageFormat.setFormatsByArgumentIndex
>>>
>>> both use the {@inheritDoc} Javadoc tag - but there's nothing to
>>> inherit from. Either the tag should be removed, or maybe the method
>>> does not belong?
>>
>> Both those methods were added to java.text.MessageFormat in Java 1.4
>>
>> http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/api/java/text/MessageFormat.html
>
> Looking again at the class, I see that all the set...Format() methods
> throw UnsupportedOperationException, so presumably the 1.4 methods are
> there to protect against write access to the superclass formats when
> running under 1.4+.

There is a note in the ExtendedMessageFormat's class Javadocs of
regarding these:

http://commons.apache.org/lang/api-2.5/org/apache/commons/lang/text/ExtendedMessageFormat.html

> I think the Javadoc needs to be changed to clarify the behaviour (and
> remove the incorrect tags for 1.3).
> The other @inheritDoc tags work, but they don't apply either, because
> only the behaviour is deliberately different.

Sounds good.

> It's a pity that the class extends MessageFormat rather than using
> MessageFormat internally ("Favour composition over inheritance").

Maybe, but one use case is where an API uses MessageFormat, then
ExtendedMessageFormat could be used as a drop-in replacement.

Niall