commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Doing a Lang 2.6 release
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2011 03:27:19 GMT
On 10 January 2011 00:26, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 11:21 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 9 January 2011 22:46, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I would like to do a Lang 2.6 release. I have ported some of the
>>> compatible changes from the trunk to the LANG_2_X branch - details in
>>> the release notes:
>>>
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/lang/branches/LANG_2_X/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>>>
>>> The site is here:
>>>
>>> http://people.apache.org/~niallp/lang/
>>>
>>> Is there anything else anyone would like to include, or other comments/opinions?
>>
>> Generally looks very good. A few minor points:
>>
>> Is the src/pending directory still useful, or could it be deleted?
>
> Its not been touched since 2005 so IMO we should remove it. It is also
> still in the trunk, so I've removed it from the 2.x branch. If it
> finds its way into the trunk then it could be considered for
> back-poritng,
>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-603 - I think we should
>> remove - or implement - Cloneable
>
> Theres related discussion about this here:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-302
>
> We can't remove the interface because of backwards compatibility - so
> its either do nothing or implement clone(). I have added my comments
> to that ticket.

+1 to implementing clone.

>> ExtendedMessageFormat.setFormatByArgumentIndex
>> and
>> ExtendedMessageFormat.setFormatsByArgumentIndex
>>
>> both use the {@inheritDoc} Javadoc tag - but there's nothing to
>> inherit from. Either the tag should be removed, or maybe the method
>> does not belong?
>
> Both those methods were added to java.text.MessageFormat in Java 1.4
>
> http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/api/java/text/MessageFormat.html

Looking again at the class, I see that all the set...Format() methods
throw UnsupportedOperationException, so presumably the 1.4 methods are
there to protect against write access to the superclass formats when
running under 1.4+.

I think the Javadoc needs to be changed to clarify the behaviour (and
remove the incorrect tags for 1.3).
The other @inheritDoc tags work, but they don't apply either, because
only the behaviour is deliberately different.

It's a pity that the class extends MessageFormat rather than using
MessageFormat internally ("Favour composition over inheritance").

Perhaps we can fix that in 3.0?
If not, at least we need to fix the same Javadoc in 3.0.