commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Function (package "analysis.function")
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2011 13:13:32 GMT
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 5:48 AM, Gilles Sadowski
<gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
>> What functions are you talking about?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalised_logistic_function
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step_function
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_function

OK.  The third one may be pretty much already available via Erf in the
special package, but I am OK adding it explicitly.

What might make sense is to define a new top-level package, "function"
or "functions" and make "special" a subpackage of that and either
classify the new ones in some way or put them in a subpackage called
something like "common".  I don't think the ones you have above belong
in special; but like those in special today, they may end up having
wide use across other packages, hence the placement in a top-level
functions package.

Phil