commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject [math] meaning of "support" in distributions classes
Date Sun, 02 Jan 2011 22:05:23 GMT
We don't precisely define what we mean by the support of a distribution
anywhere.  I have been assuming that we mean the smallest closed set such
that its complement has probability 0.  This would make, for example, the
support of the Beta distribution [0, 1] independent of the parameters.  But
then isSupportLowerBoundInclusive currently returns false for Beta.  I must
have one of the concepts wrong.  Could it be that the
upper/lowerboundInclusive attributes are only meaningful in the discrete
case?

Phil