commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] ASF branding and trademarks guidelines
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 01:28:47 GMT
On 13 January 2011 16:51, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we are in pretty good shape in terms of complying with the
> guidelines [1] that all projects are expected to get into full
> compliance with early this year (i.e., RSN).  I see one very small
> issue and one rather larger one.  The small issue is the lack of a
> "Security" link in our nav.  Otherwise, I think we are in good shape
> on all items on the checklist, other than trademark attributions.

I'd like to see a bit more consistency in the menu items that are
present - for example, it's not always easy to find the license link.
Also, that is supposed to link directly to the license page, not a
local copy of the AL.

> Personally, I see no value in claiming trademark on "Apache Commons"
> or "Commons foo" for any of our beloved [foo] and I have no desire and
> limited ability to add little "TM" symbols to all of the
> gimp-generated logos that we have on component pages.  Before I ask
> forgiveness from the ASF trademark gods on this, I need to make sure
> that the community is in agreement.  If not, then we need to get to
> work adding the little "TMs" and trademark footers.  What do others
> think about this?  Also, Henri or someone more knowledgeable on the
> trademark stuff please educate me if I am incorrectly characterizing
> our options / requirements.

I agree it's probably not worth trying to TM every component, but
perhaps Apache Commons itself should be branded?

> Please also have a look at [1] and confirm that I have not missed
> anything else that we need to do.

For projects that do wish to claim a brand, it's important that the
name - Apache Foo (say) - is used as an adjective, not a noun.
So one has to say "Apache Foo software is ..." rather than "Apache Foo is".

I'm not sure if this is still a requirement if no attempt is being
made to treat the name as a trademark.