commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject [math] 2.2 compatibility issues
Date Sun, 02 Jan 2011 18:01:50 GMT
The clirr report run from the current MATH_2_X branch is, as expected,
problematic.  To get 2.2. out, we need to agree on what breaks we are going
to allow and what we are going to fix.   Here is a first cut and proposal
for some immediate fixes that I would appreciate feedback on.

0)  The improvements to the distributions classes to add characteristic
support and positive mass domains have added some new methods to interfaces
and new abstract methods to abstract classes.  I apologize for not spotting
this in initial patch reviews or being clear in discussion of the
features.   I think we can keep the functionality without introducing the
compatibility breaks by removing the added methods from interfaces /
abstract classes.  The only painful part is the nice solution for caching
numerical characteristics that will have to be repeated in the
implementation classes that need it.  I would like to proceed with these
changes in the 2.2 branch if others are OK with it.

1) Removed superclasses in the exception hierarchy.  I am OK leaving these
as is.

I don't know what, if anything, to do about the following:

2) Changed return type of interpolate in BicubicSpline.

3) Incompatible changes in the ode package.

4) Incompatible changes in the optimization package.

Thanks in advance!

Phil