commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] 2.2 compatibility issues
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:03:34 GMT
On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Gilles Sadowski
<gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Hi.

> From the fact that you have to consider these options, let's remember that,
> at the release of 3.0, we should immediately create a "bug-fix-only" branch
> (destined to remain backward compatible).

If what you mean by this is that immediately after 3.0 we start
introducing incompatible changes (against the released 3.0 API), then
no.  We need to stabilize our API.  We should try *very hard* to get
the compatiblity-breaking changes that we want to introduce into 3.0
and then proceed with 3.1, 3.2, etc. that are compatible with the 3.0
release.  It is not manageable or fair to users to bump major release
numbers with each release, nor is it consistent with how we manage
components in Commons.

Phil