commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] 2.2 compatibility issues
Date Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:23:06 GMT
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Gilles Sadowski
<gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Hi.
>
>> The clirr report run from the current MATH_2_X branch is, as expected,
>> problematic.  To get 2.2. out, we need to agree on what breaks we are going
>> to allow and what we are going to fix.   Here is a first cut and proposal
>> for some immediate fixes that I would appreciate feedback on.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> 4) Incompatible changes in the optimization package.
>
> IIRC, some of the changes in "AbstractLeastSquares" were related to a bug
> fix (performed by Dimitri). So this should probably not be reverted to an
> older version.

After looking carefully at the code, it appears that the incompatible
changes were introduced in r985828, which does not appear to have
fixed any bugs or modified and test cases.  While the changelog is
updated in this commit, the bug fixes had been applied in r985589 and
r984404, before the incompatible changes were introduced.  I would
like to revert the incompatible changes in the 2.x branch.  Would
appreciate confirmation that my understanding is correct and review of
my commits, or obviously other volunteers to do this.  After reverting
the r985828, we need to remember to reapply the FastMath changes.

> This problem
> ---
> Method 'public double solve(int, org.apache.commons.math.analysis.UnivariateRealFunction,
double, double)'
> has been added to an interface

Fixed.

> ---
> results from trying to prepare users for the change in 3.0
>
> As is the case with "fields weakened to private".
>
> For these, you could try to revert the changes.

Working on these.  Patches / commits welcome.

Phil