commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@scalaris.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Commons VFS 2.0
Date Thu, 23 Dec 2010 08:11:21 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:

>>> IMO, intentionally committing them is a good thing.  Nothing generated
>>> directly from maven has ever met my expectations in terms of formatting
>>> and
>>> content, so I have always ended up tweaking the generated files.  I
>>> don't see this as onerous, personally.
>>
>> Then why not generating it directly before the release manually,
>> "finalize" it and commit it? After a release it can be deleted again in
>> svn.
>
> This is exactly what I'm thinking of doing with an enhancement to the
> release plugin, changes plugin or a new plugin. release-prepare would then
> do this automatically.

Well, I thought "finalize" to be a manual task in accordance with Phil's
comment about tweaking the generated stuff before the release.

>> All we need then is a verification that the file exists while releasing.
>> This can be done by the verifier plugin (best to bind the goal to the
>> validation phase) in the release profile.
>
> This wouldn't be necessary since the above plugin would fail if it can't
> generate the release notes.

It would be a different process then. For me it would be enough if the
release can check if the changes.xml and release notes handle the current
version. Whatever this means ;-)

- Jörg