commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <GGreg...@seagullsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Commons VFS 2.0
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2010 16:15:08 GMT
On Dec 6, 2010, at 10:49, "sebb" <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 December 2010 02:04, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> This is a vote to release Apache Commons VFS 2.0.
>>
>> Since the last candidate the package name was changed from vfs to vfs2. Many of the
Jira issues were reviewed and those that required a possibly incompatible API change were
addressed. Most instances of StringBuffer were replaced with StringBuilder. Some synchronization
issues were addressed. Many javadoc and some checkstyle issues were addressed. The filesystem
documentation was improved to list file system capabilities.

>> [ ] +1 release it
>> [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
>> [X] -1 no, do not release it because...
>>
>> Ralph
>>
>> tag: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/vfs/tags/commons-vfs2-project-2.0/
 (revision 1042381).

>> site: http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/commons-vfs/index.html
>
> Does not mention that the new release uses a new package name and
> requires source updates to use.
> Ditto the Maven changes.
>
> changes.xml has not been updated with a description of the release.
> Also, the date will need to be changed at some point.
>
> I still think we should have tried to maintain binary compatibility -
> which I think would have been possible.
> However, assuming that the compatibility break is what the majority
> wants, this needs to be made very obvious, and there should be upgrade
> notes describing how to perform the change.
>
> IMO there should be some RELEASE_NOTES in the source and binary archives.

+1  I've come to expect release notes in bin releases.

Gary

(u:rgoers, a:75.82.178.177) https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-051/