commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Commons Wiki] Update of "CodeStyle" by sebbapache
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:48:15 GMT
On 30 November 2010 21:18, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2010, at 1:12 PM, Apache Wiki wrote:
>
>> Dear Wiki user,
>>
>> You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Commons Wiki" for change
notification.

>> The "CodeStyle" page has been changed by sebbapache.
>> The comment on this change is: Some more suggested rules.
>> http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CodeStyle?action=diff&rev1=4&rev2=5

>>  ||Imports: No wildcards ||error ||
>>  ||Imports: Order by groups: java, javax, org, com ||warning ||
>>  ||Imports: Order in alphabetical order with a group ||warning ||
>> + ||Indentation: (Java) use 4 spaces || warning ||
>> + ||Indentation: (POM) prefer 4 spaces, allow 2, but be consistent within a file
(1) || info ||
>>  ||Add your rule here ||warning ||
>>
>> + Notes:
>> + 1. POMs tend to have quite deeply nested elements, and many elements can be long
and awkward to wrap, so using 2 spaces is sometimes easier to read.
>> +
>
> Actually, I would have said prefer 2 spaces, allow 4.  I prefer 2 spaces for all xml
files for exactly the reason you stated - the elements can be long and awkward to wrap. When
you need to add something to the pom and it becomes too long it means you have to respace
the whole file which generates a lot of noise in the diff.

OK, feel free to change it.