commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] Frequency getUniqueCount
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2010 17:19:38 GMT
On 6 December 2010 17:06, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks right.  I think that the base of the patch is one level too low.

The base level of patches should ideally be the top-level of an SVN
checkout, in this case commons-math/trunk, or possibly two levels
higher.
[Some people may check out multiple Commons projects at once.]

It's easy enough to drop extra path segments, but the current patch
has no path whatsoever (except in the comments).
This which makes it harder to apply.

Also there could be several files called Frequency.java.

It's also useful to include the SVN revision in the patch (rather than
BASE). If the patch is not applied for a while, it can be important to
know what revision it was created for.

Dunno how to do that in NetBeans; it happens automatically in Eclipse
when creating patches from an SVN workspace.

> It is also a nice convention to name the patch after the JIRA.  Thus your
> patch would be called MATH-448.patch
>
> It is also a nice convention to just upload on top of the previous version.
>  This leaves JIRA with a development
> history which is pretty interesting to take a look.

Possibly not relevant here though, when the content of the patch is
the same - just the wrapping is different.