commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] [PROPOSAL] adding Google Doclava in the parent pom
Date Sun, 02 Jan 2011 13:03:29 GMT
On 2 January 2011 12:19, Simone Tripodi <simonetripodi@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all Commons developers,
> and happy new year!!! :)
>
> I recently joined the Google Doclava[1] team and helped them deploying
> it on the Maven Central repo, so I'd like to propose the adoption of
> this Doclet in the parent pom.
> For those don't know Google Doclava, it is the Google Android doclet,
> made as independent project, with amazing features like the 'search'
> box or the code syntax highlight, if you want to see it in action you
> can check the Google Guice APIs[2].
>
> The only "dark side" is that Doclava requires Java6, but it can be
> easily included in a proper profile, activated when Java6 is detected,
> so it won't cause any damage for other platforms, as shown in[3] in
> the bottom page (see Warning section).

Looks nice, but I don't like the fact that it does not support the
same tags as standard Javadoc.

In particular, it does not yet support @since and @version, which we
use extensively in Commons.

It also adds some new tags.
Not sure I think that is a good idea - if any such tags are used, they
will tie the code to using Doclava in future (and they won't be
supported by IDEs).
One way round this would be to run Doclava in "compatibility" mode, if
it exists.
If not, you may wish to consider adding it to the doclet.
.