commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Commons VFS 2.0
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 15:51:44 GMT
Hi James,

James Carman wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Do you really consider this to be a -1?  I consider this to be a
>> documentation issue.  User's can pick and choose which providers they
>> want and simply need to be aware that Net 2.0 requires 1.5.
>>

> The providers are auto-registered based on what's on the classpath.
> So, if they added net 2.0 to their classpath, that provider would be
> registered.  It may not be completely obvious that net 2.0 requires
> 1.5+.

This is not the point. If they add net 2.0 to the classpath they are using
Java 5 probably anyway. The interesting quesiton is, what happens if net 1.4
is on the classpath? I'd guess the provider is also auto-registered, but
will crash at some point ...

> I agree this is probably just a documentation issue.  Don't
> know if it should be a blocker.

If the application will crash, just because net 1.4 is on the classpath, it
is a blocker. If an application can run as logn as it does not use the stuff
requiring net 2.0, it's unfortunate, but documentation is enough.

_ Jörg