commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [Collections] Generic Fork
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 21:20:32 GMT
Hi Grant,

Grant Overby wrote:

> What are the general opinions on maintaining a generic fork of Commons
> Collections?
>
> My company has a some what sizable portion refactored or adapted into
> generic compatibly that I may be able to get released under the Apache
> License. Would such a project be welcomed by the community such that
> collections developers would be willing to provide feedback / advice to
> myself and other interested parties?
>
> Aside from breaking with backwards compatibility and migration
> compatibility with the Java Collections Framework, are there other reasons
> why this hasn't been done?
>
> There is a source forge project that once had a go at this (
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/collections/develop), but their commit
> logs ended in 2007. I know of no other related projects. Are there any?

Well, commons collections! It's not released, because it's not finished, but
at this time we're certainly not interested in a code drop as a replacement.

However, if you have interest finishing the trunk, your help is really
welcome. Development is as usual by creating patches in JIRA that can be
applied to the current trunk. Since you also have done an amount of work, it
might be interesting for you to compare the codebases and provide what you
have improved.

- Jörg