commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Removing deprecated code
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 05:33:55 GMT

On Nov 10, 2010, at 2:07 PM, Gilles Sadowski <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Hi Luc.
>
>>> Do we need a "task" issue in order to delete all code deprecated in 2.2 and
>>> before?
>>
>> I think we need several different issues, depending on broad topics
>> (exceptions, optimization, ODE, linear algebra ...), and most
>> importantly several commits. I guess this will not be as smooth as we
>> expect, so handling this in a few chunks would be better for us and for
>> the few users who use directly the repository.
>>
>> This would also avoid only one developers has to support all the burden
>> by himself, we can share the tasks.
>
> Of course, I didn't mean that I would remove all deprecated at one fell
> swoop. Several commits are in order, but we could create a single issue
> (where anyone dealing with some part of the work would write in which
> revision the deletion has occurred). My question was rather because an
> alternative option is to not create a JIRA report at all, as it is pretty
> obvious what the issue is with deprecated code :-).
>
> One issue for everything, one per package, none?

I would say divide it up logically somehow so that it all ends up documented in manageable
chunks in JIRA and the changelog.  Some depredations are small and isolated - no problem just
committing with a note in the changelog.  The more complex changes involving removal of entire
classes should be documented in individual issues.