commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [VFS] Maven groupId problem?
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2010 02:25:33 GMT

On Nov 7, 2010, at 6:11 PM, James Carman wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>
>> I find this very confusing.  In trunk I cannot find a version of pom.xml in either
the parent or core that didn't have org.apache.commons as the groupid.  Even in the 1.0 tag
the pom.xml has org.apache.commons as the groupId. However, the project.xml used by maven
1 had commons-vfs as the groupid.  So if someone checks out VFS 1.0 and builds it with maven
2 they are going to get a different groupId than the binary release (assuming the Maven 2
build even works).

> This is the only thing that really matters:

While I agree that matters, it actually doesn't matter at all from an ASF point of view. The
only thing that matters is the source that was voted on. Apparently it was in error.

That said, I understand the implications of screwing stuff up.  I just think it is a lot less
likely that you will find 2.0 and 1.0 of VFS in the same classpath vs something like commons
lang. But if the consensus is to change the package names before doing a release it can certainly
be done.  Note that I raised this question in August 2009 when we first discussed changing
the JDK version to Java 5 (see the thread I referenced for that in the previous VOTE thread).
 I'm just a little miffed that I could have done this a year ago.

Ralph