commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [VFS] @since markers missing - ctd
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2010 04:13:10 GMT

On Nov 14, 2010, at 8:04 PM, sebb wrote:

> On 15 November 2010 03:59, Gary Gregory <GGregory@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 14, 2010, at 19:56, "sebb" <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Starting a new thread because the original one drifted into @author tags.
>>>
>>> I've been using clirr to report which classes and methods are new.
>>>
>>> This works fine for classes, however Clirr does not seem to notice
>>> when a private method becomes public - it just says the method has
>>> been added, [even if one tells clirr to process all access modifiers.]
>>>
>>> In a sense, this is a method addition - should the @since tag be added?
>>
>> +1
>>
>>> If so, should we say that the access has changed?
>>> For example: @since 2.0 (was private)
>>
>> -1
>
> What about changes from protected to public?
>
> How should these be documented?

Same thing.  A protected method was not available to arbitrary classes and now is, so in essence
it is like adding a new method.  OTOH, going from public to protected or private is API breakage
if the class is meant to be public.  Unfortunately, it isn't obvious which subpackages are
for internal use only and which are part of the API.

Ralph