commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henning Schmiedehausen <henn...@schmiedehausen.org>
Subject Re: [VFS] Maven groupId problem?
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2010 03:08:51 GMT
I don't get it. Sorry. :-)

So maven1 kind of added ad-hoc groups. They chose to use the same as
the artifactId as the groupId when they constituted that back in the
maven1 days. That turned out to be suboptimal. But some artifacts that
were in the maven1 tree (most of commons) ended up in the commons-*
locations.

Pretty much everyone agrees that this was a mistake and these
artifacts should have been put into org.apache.commons. However, they
were not. Why should be stay locked into these mistakes forever?

Maven offers a relocation mechanism. So we use it and put the new
releases into the more sane location which is
org.apache.commons:commons-vfs. Life goes on afterwards. Relocation
helps people to transition.

I love backwards compatibility as the next guy, but we do have to move
on at some point. JDK 1.3 and Maven 1 are gone for five+ years now.
Everyone who is still using them will not upgrade anyway. Not
leveraging what exists in 2010 seems to wrong to me. Let's acknowledge
mistakes of the past and move on.

+1 to org.apache.commons:* for all new releases. +1 to "JDK5+ (even
though I would prefer JDK6+) for all new releases.

-h