commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VFS] change of package name breaks Gump
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2010 01:51:03 GMT
On 15 November 2010 01:38, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2010, at 5:34 PM, sebb wrote:
>

>> IMO it's important to ensure that the package change really is necessary.
>>

> Somehow I thought that was accomplished by the last release candidate failing to get
the required votes due to the package name not being changed.  If the recommendation had
been made to make the API binary compatible I would have done that instead of going and renaming
the package. I'm getting tired of wasting my time.

AIUI, the root cause of the failure was due to the binary incompatibility.

Change of package name is one solution.

I don't think it's necessarily the best solution here.

It may well turn out to be fairly easy to keep binary compatibility -
or indeed maybe some API breaks are in classes/methods that are not
intended for external use.

If not, then yes, package change will be required, and all downstream
users will have to adapt.