commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: Release distribution contents.
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 16:21:26 GMT
A release can't be vetoed anyway. So, you've got one -1 (if I am
counting correctly).  Go ahead and release it if you've got enough
other folks behind it (minimum of three +1s)

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Niall Pemberton
<niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> It would be good to have a definitive position on this. The VFS build includes the
javadoc and source jars in the distribution zip, even though there is a separate source distribution
zip (the source distribution is complete while the source jar is only suitable for use by
an IDE). I'm close to doing another release attempt and would like to know if I need to change
that before I do it.

> Theres no right/wrong answer here and either way the release is good
> to go. IMO though these jars are useful to people who don't want to
> build from source but do want to see the source/javadocs int their
> IDE. The reason for taking them out AIUI it was *bloat* - but that
> seems a weak reason to me. I doubt anyone will complain about a few
> extra bytes in the binary distro - but some people might be
> disappointed to not find those jars. AFAIK we have set up all the
> other m2 builds in commons to include them.
>
> Up to you, but if it was me I would revert the change that dropped
> them from the binary distro.
>
> Niall
>
>> Ralph

>>> Personally I am fine not including these jars; but IIUC the reason people started
including them a couple of years back was to make it easier for users using IDEs that make
use of them.