commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept the package name/artifactId guideline as a "rule"...
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2010 19:49:38 GMT
On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Niall Pemberton
<niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:

> Package name change decisions should be based purely on whether a
> component decides whether breaking binary compatibility is acceptable
> or not.
>
> I also think conflating version/packagename/maven issues causes
> confusion. The decisions for each influence each, but IMO they need to
> be considered separately.

I'm trying to come up with a general rule or a "best practice" here.
Since we *are* one project, we should try to achieve some consistency
among our subcomponents.  Is there no common ground with this
package/artifactId thing we can agree upon, at least "in general"?