commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept the package name/artifactId guideline as a "rule"...
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2010 19:43:19 GMT
On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Ralph Goers
<ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> I disagree. The "rule" should be that a new package and artifactId is required when compatibility
is broken, not when a version change occurs. Exceptions should be based on that policy, not
on a version change occurs.

Ok, so how about we change the rule?  We could say "if the binary
compatibility is broken, then the package/artifactId must change."
Again, this rule can be broken if a component feels they need to do so
and they provide a very good reason. :)