commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brent Worden <brent.wor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1030464 [1/3] - in /commons/proper/math/trunk/src: main/java/org/apache/commons/math/ main/java/org/apache/commons/math/analysis/ main/java/org/apache/commons/math/analysis/integration/ main/java/org/apache/commons/math/analysis/inte
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 16:20:36 GMT
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Gilles Sadowski
<gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Hi.
>

>> IMHO we still need the @throws line in the javadoc.  Otherwise end
>> users are going to get a nasty surprise when they get an unchecked
>> exception thrown.
>>

> Any existing user code (throwing a "FunctionEvaluationException" at some
> point and catching it at another) will still work the same as before
> (provided they change the "import" statement). No surprise to be expected.
>

> Best,
> Gilles

What about new code?  With the current signature and documentation
there is no information on possible exception conditions.  The fact
the method will throw an exception on failure needs to be expressed.

The original request was to add an informative @throws back to the
javadoc.  I'm 100% in favor of that request.  I'm indifferent on
whether or not the corresponding throws clause is added back to the
signature.

Thanks,

Brent