commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject VFS release
Date Sat, 27 Nov 2010 22:50:55 GMT
I've gone through Jira and tried to make fixes where it looked like they would require changes
that could impact binary compatibility.

There are many bugs related to the FTP variants and after taking several passes I've decided
to hold off for the time being. Most of the code either isn't thread safe or implements concurrency
in a manner that is difficult for me to understand what it is trying to do. FtpFileObject
synchronizes on the file system which creates a huge bottleneck and without understanding
how commons net works it isn't clear to me why this is being done the way it is. It almost
feels like someone just tried to make it thread safe by brute force. OTOH, SftpFileObject
doesn't synchronize on anything which looks problematic to me. But I have no familiarity with
jsch so I suppose I could not be understanding something.

However, I don't believe addressing these issues will impact binary compatibility so at this
point I think I'm ready to try again to release 2.0.

WDYT?

Ralph