commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Commons VFS 2.0
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2010 05:08:48 GMT

On Nov 7, 2010, at 6:49 PM, James Carman wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure whether I agree. I think I mentioned that Java 7 has a new FileSystem
abstraction. http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/nio/file/package-summary.html.
 I  would think VFS 3.0 would remove the API and just provide FileSystem implementations.
So I'm not sure how much effort is worth investing in V2.0 to move it to Java 6.

> I saw something about this recently (if I had more sleep I could
> probably recall where) and wondered about VFS.  Does this new API look
> like it would do everything that VFS currently does?  If so, it's a
> great step forward for the language, IMHO.

I've not investigated it extensively, but the new API seems to have a lot of similarity to
VFS. Instead of a File the new API uses a FileChannel, which is an abstract class. It wouldn't
be a stretch to imagine all the various FileObjects extending that. The SPI also has a FileSystemProvider
which is used to create a FileSystem and a FileStore.  It also includes a WatchService to
listen for changes and events.

Ralph