commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Factorial
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 14:13:39 GMT

On Nov 2, 2010, at 6:07 AM, Gilles Sadowski <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> In "MathUtils", the documentation of method "factorialDouble" says that it
> will return INFINITY when the result is larger than MAX_VALUE. It also says
> that this will happen when n > 170.  So, I think that it should be more
> appropriate to throw an "ArithmeticException" (as is done in the method
> "factorial" when n > 20).

Interesting question.  The rationale for the current setup is that there is no infinity for
Integers (nor NaN) so exception is the only option; whereas  infinity is an option for doubles
and while we can argue about the absence of overflow exceptions in Java, returning Infinity
on double overflow is consistent with the Java language spec (4.2.3).

Phil