commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [Commons Wiki] Update of "MavenGroupIDChange" by sebbapache
Date Sat, 13 Nov 2010 15:35:41 GMT

On Nov 13, 2010, at 7:28 AM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:

> Le 13/11/2010 16:09, Ralph Goers a écrit :
>> This is a great post.  Personally, I think the need to do this is completely caused
by Maven and I've been discussing this with them for years.  I will be writing up a proposal
on the Maven wiki which would eliminate the need to keep renaming packages and artifacts.
 Instead, artifacts would contain additional metadata they could use to describe things like
the version(s) of the API that they support, configuration versions, and other attributes
that might affect the user of the artifact. Then users of the artifact, in addition to specifying
the groupId and artifactId would specify the attributes and their versions that they require.
Maven could then use this information to insure that only a single version of the artifact
is present and that it meets the requirements of all the projects that list it as a dependency.
 If multiple projects specify the artifact with different metadata that can't be resolved
by any available version of the artifact then the build would fail.

> I thought the name change would allow safe mixing of version, each part
> being able to retrieve it's own version ? As components do not catch up
> on version at the same time, this seemed an interesting feature. Having
> the build fail in this case would mandate either tightly synchronized
> components or using an OSGi framework to isolate components.

That is a good point.  I suppose it is probably easier to do it this way then actually doing
the work to insure the artifact maintains backward compatibility. If I had thought about it
I probably could have taken the list of items where VFS broke compatibility and just addressed
them instead of renaming the package.

Ralph