commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1034457 - in /commons/proper/math/branches/MATH_2_X/src: main/java/org/apache/commons/math/ main/java/org/apache/commons/math/exception/ main/java/org/apache/commons/math/linear/ main/java/org/apache/commons/math/ode/ site/xdoc/
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:15:43 GMT
Hello.

> > MATH-440
> > New exception "MathUserException" supersedes "FunctionEvaluationException",
> > "MatrixVisitorException" and "DerivativeException".
> >
> > Added:
> >     commons/proper/math/branches/MATH_2_X/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math/exception/MathUserException.java
  (with props)

> Fine, thanks.
> I'll change the constructors to replace the String with Localizable as
> per the new localization scheme (which is already in place in 2.X branch).

Do you think that it is necessary, given that as a user-level exception,
there won't probably exist an enum element corresponding to the error?
The only thing would be to add an element
  USER_GENERATED_EXCEPTION
and use that string as the message of "MathUserException". I.e. we should
not provide a string argument to construct a "MathUserException".

The user will have to unpack the "cause" if he needs access to _his_
message. So, we should probably only provide *one* constructor (with a
"Throwable" argument) to make it completely clear that we suggest wrapping
any user-specific error into a single type in order to ease communication.

Best regards,
Gilles