commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <>
Subject Re: Backwards incompatible changes and package names (was: Re: [VOTE] Release Commons VFS 2.0)
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2010 02:15:57 GMT

On Nov 7, 2010, at 6:02 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:

> On 11/7/10 8:19 PM, James Carman wrote:
>> So you think that if there is no API break, then you don't bump major
>> version numbers?  So what about vfs 2.0?  Would you vote against it?
> I would not -1 the release, but I would encourage the RM to consider making it 1.x if
there are no compat breaks.

As Sebb has shown there are compatibility breaks.  The real issue here is that it has been
far too long since a VFS release has been done.

I'm not sure why the version was bumped from 1.1 to 2.0, but it happened in March 2008, at
least 8 months before I started working on the code.  That change was 16 months after the
prior release.

Is the goal to never do a release?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: