commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Weird class names [WAS RE: [VOTE] Release Commons IO 2.0 based on RC3]
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2010 19:37:22 GMT

On Oct 11, 2010, at 11:49 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> The more I think about it and read it, the more non-English and odd the word "filesystem"
feels to me. I would never write: 'Do this or that with the filesystem.' It just sounds Dutch
or German to me. That's what I get for working with Dutch people :)

Speaking as a native American English speaker and confessed spelling/grammar nazi, I would
personally *prefer* to see the compound "filesystem" used instead of "file system".  I consider
it to be simply one of those computing terms that is no less correct for your spell checking
software refusing to recognize it.

$0.02,
Matt

> I am not the guardian of the English lanugage (and neither is Wikipedia), I do not see
compound nouns in English like as I do speakers of other languages use them.

> About the Wikipedia entry: They do say "often also written as filesystem" but so what?
Wikipedia says a lot of things...

> I am kinda ranting on this one because I think names are very important.
>
> Gary

Filesystem* should be FileSystem because "filesystem" is not a word in English.