commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [pool][dbcp] cross pollination
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:04:05 GMT

On Oct 18, 2010, at 9:38 AM, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:

> Has any thought been given to simply rolling the projects into one?

Yes.  The project is called *Apache Commons* ;)

Seriously guys, we have to stop talking about "projects" inside Commons.  We do have separate
*components* with overlapping sets of contributors, but there is only one project and one
PMC.

Component boundaries are largely determined by what makes sense as a product for users and
what makes sense to release together.  Regarding [pool] and [DBCP] specifically, I think that
[pool] has a user base independent of [DBCP] and as most recent RM of both, I can say that
it is convenient to be able to release them independently.  It is, IMHO, a testament to the
quality of the APIs of the two components that we have been able to do that and that is something
that I would like to see maintained in the 2.x versions.

Phil