commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [pool] time to move groupId?
Date Sat, 16 Oct 2010 16:52:22 GMT
On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Niall Pemberton
<niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:

> Consistency is good, but deciding something based purely on
> *consistency* rather than the merits of the situation is mindless.

Trying to keep things consistent is being mindful of the user's needs.
 The consistency is part of the situation.  When you go to pool
version 3, you'll have:

1.x - commons-pool:common-pool with package org.apache.commons.pool
2.x - org.apache.commons:commons-pool with package org.apache.commons.pool2
3.x - org.apache.commons:commons-pool3 with package org.apache.commons-pool3

Makes lots of sense to the users.

Again, it comes down to "you don't work on this project so stay out of
its damn business" and "the release manager is doing the work so they
can do whatever the hell they want."  So, why don't we just do what
Incubator does and have a mini-PMC for each subproject since you don't
want other members of the Commons PMC butting their noses into a
project they don't actively participate in?

At this point, I really don't care what you guys do.  In the grand
scheme of things, it has absolutely zero impact on me what you do with
this code.  I'm tired of arguing about this stuff all the time.