commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [VFS] Softening the exceptions...
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2010 17:52:23 GMT
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Filip Defoort
<filipdef@cirquedigital.com> wrote:

> Depends. I do have a bunch of wrappers for common types of retries,
> but often the remedy really is different depending on the operation
> (I'm dealing a lot with search indexes, updating them and transaction
> locking).

Again, you can use try/catch if you want to with runtime exceptions.
I'd say your usage is not typical.  Most folks don't do anything
meaningful at the local level (in the immediate catch block).  They
let the exception go up the call stack or take care of it by other
means (aspects, thread group's unchecked exception, etc).