commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [IO] 2.0 RC2 available for review
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2010 15:00:15 GMT
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 6, 2010, at 9:32 AM, Michael Wooten wrote:
>
>> Hey All,
>>
>> As a user (and occasional contributor) I would have to agree with Jorg
>> that 1.5 makes more sense, in the fact that it does retain binary
>> compatibility. Like with Lang 3.0, I would expect that the 2.0 release
>> would be a major change (dropping backwards compatibility, removing
>> deprecated code, using incompatible 1.5 features, etc.). The new
>> refinements sound more like an extension to the 1.4 release to me, so
>> 1.5 makes more sense.
>>
>> Will there be a point in the future where IO will be removing
>> deprecated code and dropping backwards compatibility? If so, what
>> release of IO will that be? That sounds more like a 2.0 release to me,
>> but that's my opinion.
>>

> I'm personally leaning toward 1.5 as well.  The bugfix along the 1.3 compatible line
point is a red herring as the hypothetical fixes would be made against 1.4.x.

There are four people who think 2.0 (Stephen and myself in this thread
and Sebb and Dennis in the previous thread back in March[1]) that
think it should be 2.0. So far there are five who think 1.5 (Jörg,
James, Michael, Paul & Matt). So people disagree. Its OK to have a
massive debate on this, but I would much rather spend my time on
something less trivial than version number ideology.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/flsmdalzs6tjv3va