commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simone Tripodi <>
Subject [pool] Pool, Factory and Config
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 16:01:58 GMT
Hi all guys,
there are Generic(Keyed)ObjectPool(Factory) that (in pairs, Pool and
related factory) share the same kind of information, replicated in the
related Config class.

I wonder if we can improve that design and remove that information
redundancy: I propose to keep the Config classes only, put them not as
inner class, in order to remove the circular dependency between
factory/pool and remove also the not so comfortable (at least for me)
n-arguments constructors.
So, the GenericObjectPool, instead of having all these constructors,
could work only with:

public GenericObjectPool(PoolableObjectFactory<T> factory) {
    this(factory, new Config());

public GenericObjectPool(PoolableObjectFactory<T> factory, Config config) {
    this.factory = factory;
    this.config = config;

both factory and config can be final; if users need to reconfigure the
pool at runtime, invoke the setter and modify the interested value

I'd extend later the same approach also to other Pools... WDYT?
Many thanks in advance,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message